Welcome to the Office of First Steps
First Steps is a statewide education initiative to help prepare children to reach first grade ready to succeed in school. Signed into law in June 1999 by Jim Hodges, First Steps gives preschool children the opportunity to reach their full educational potential. First Steps coordinates public and private support by county partnerships, working to help communities identify challenges to school readiness, creating solutions, and funding quality programs to put South Carolina children on track for a lifetime of learning.
Collaborating with other entities, First Steps helps Williamsburg County families and caregivers prepare their children for school success by maximizing public and private community resources to deliver, enhance and expand high-quality early childhood services.
Every Williamsburg County child will be prepared for success in school.
Goals/Values Statements are:
- The years of early childhood are a critical window of development during which much of human potential is shaped.
- Families are the single most important influence on the development of their young children.
- The work of supporting families and caregivers is a collaborative effort between state and local stakeholders within the public, private and faith sectors.
- School readiness is the result of a child’s development in many areas, with each contributing to the child’s success.
- Services must be individualized and adaptable to meet the unique needs of children and families.